History & the Macquarrie connection
The house dating back in parts to the 1600’s, has been a Drover’s inn, farmhouse and Victorian sporting lodge. It was part of the Estate bought by Major General Lachlan Macquarrie, on his return from Australia, and in its rooms he celebrated with locals, his purchase of the estate, which he called Jarversfield in honour of his wife (now known as Glenforsa), with his mausoleum and house over the hill at Gruline.
The house is situated on a working farm, with magnificent highland cattle and black faced sheep. The working sheepdogs are kennelled in the steadings (farm buildings) nearby, within earshot of the house.